Malta Geographical Society (MGS) was founded in 1943 when the Second World War was practically over in Malta, although still going on in other European countries. A small group of Maltese internal refugees living in Mgarr decided to set up this society. The first committee was made up of G. Mangion, as Chairman; N. S. Leopardi as Vice-Chairman, J. Burgess as Hon Secretary, and (Ms) C. Aguis as Hon. Treasurer, as well as R. Cachia, S. Gatt, and W. Salomone.
There were initially about 18 members. Although it was still war time, the society had the foresight of the need to promote the culture of geography in the wide sense of cultural appreciation of the Maltese Islands and of promotion the Maltese environment. This was done from the very start by organising walks mainly in the countryside, as well as talks and showing of films. The Society organised several talks on the only local cable radio system (Rediffusion).
To-day, 77 years after its foundation, the MGS. is still going strong with over 400 members. It organises regularly monthly Saturday and Wednesday walks, as well as various lectures and social evenings. Activities include Gozo weekend walks, Christmas Dinners and BBQ's, excursions to Gozo and to Comino, visits (normally coupled with a walk) to various cultural and historic places. Evening walks are organised during the summer months.
Each year the Society is organising walks abroad. The Society publishes a monthly newsletter which is sent to all members, giving details of all its activities.